For this episode I'm joined once again by my friend and Founder of Stay Forth Designs, Alan Briggs. Unlike previous episodes I invite Alan to co-host with me where I give Alan creative control over what we talk about. Today's episode focuses on helping upside-down leaders get right-side up. I hope you enjoy today's episode.
- Josh shares what lies ahead for the podcast by talking about adding a patron program to fund the ministry of the podcast.
- Alan talks about the leadership conundrum - when you aim at impact, you get un-health. But when you aim at health, you get impact.
- Rest is too often seen as something for low capacity leaders. The truth is rest makes you high capacity. Too many leaders are "always kinda" working and in desperate need of rest and restoration.
- Leaders prioritize the most important things over the urgent things.
- "Busy" shouldn't describe how a leader feels about their day. It's possible to be busy and void of meaning. Rich is a great word describing how right-side up leaders feel where their lives are full of the people and activities that add the most value to their lives.
- Margin in your calendar is a gift. Leave it alone. An insecure leader will fill those blank spaces because they feel guilty they're not doing something.
- The best way to get started with Sabbath rest is to do it and find the result in your soul. Rest is a gift and it beckons more rest.
- "The currency of leadership is watching people's lives change." - Alan Briggs
- "What's your burnout plan? How would you do it?" - Alan Briggs
- "Sabbath is a game-changer!" - Alan Briggs
Leaders Are Readers:
- Look back. If you want to be more healthy and prolific, then the first step is to perform a calendar audit. Write down everything you do at home and work in a month. Rate those items on a scale of 1-10 in terms of importance. Eliminate or delegate tasks that are 1's, 2's, or 3's. Anything above a 7, make sure you protect.
- Download a Sabbath planning guide created by Dr. Matthew Sleeth, author of 24/6.
If you enjoyed this episode, please share and use the official #2ndchairpodcast hashtag when sharing on social media! If you know anyone who'd enjoy this podcast please share this with them.
"Achieve Your Goals" by Scott Holmes