Sitting in the second chair with me for this episode is Greg Crooks. Greg serves as the Executive Pastor of Watermark Community Church - a large and fast-growing community in the greater Dallas area. Before coming on staff with Watermark, Greg spent nine years in the business sector until God called him to use his gifts and experience to serve vocationally in the local church. Greg oversees the daily operations and ministries of the church and uniquely wired to serve faithfully from the second chair.
- Greg talks with admiration for the leaders in his life who, in his words, "had a vision for his life than he had" for himself. As leaders we have to see that in those we lead on our teams. When we have those kinds of visions, rather than keep it to yourself, share it.
- Needs-based budgeting allows an organization to innovate by saying yes to some new, creative ideas while simultaneously saying no to continuing to do the same things over and over again.
- Thinking creatively but not executing independently in your work by gaining agreement and alignment.
- What you need to know about hiring and firing. When you can, hire from within. Hire known people. Seek counsel from other staff members when hiring from within and ask them what they know about the potential hire.
- Adopt an "always hiring" mentality and hold out for "9s" and "10s."
- Fun can and should be a part of the workplace culture.
- Strategy doesn't have to be complicated. Simplify your strategy by asking three questions: "Where are you now? Where do you want to go? How will you get there?"
- "We don't know it all, but we want to be helpful; but, more than anything we want to equip the Church." - Greg Crooks
- "You can't do anything unless you're first leading yourself and your relationship with God by doing the things that fill your heart with worship toward the Lord." - Greg Crooks
Leaders Are Readers:
Greg recommends you read Come and See by Todd Wagner.
- Connect with Greg on Twitter or by email at gcrooks[at]watermark[dot]org
- Consider attending next year's Church Leader's Conference in April 2019.
- Start Farlking.
If you enjoyed this episode, please share and use the official #2ndchairpodcast hashtag when sharing on social media! If you know anyone who'd enjoy this podcast please share this with them.
"Achieve Your Goals" by Scott Holmes