I am thrilled to have Tim Kirkpatrick as my guest for this episode. Tim is the managing partner of Second Chair Solutions based in the suburbs of Washington D.C. Tim is a fantastic second chair with entrepreneurial instincts. Tim and his team take pride in working behind-the-scenes help leaders experience the freedom to truly be who they were created to be.
- Tim talks about his trial by fire experiences serving in a church where he started out "mowing the grass" to serving on the executive team as the church grew to the thousands to transitioning to Chief of Staff for a local business owner to stepping into a first chair role launching his own outsourcing company.
- It quite literally pays to read. Tim credits his pastoral experience and reading leadership books for turning around a sinking Apple resale store.
- Self-awareness of the leader is paramount to the growth of an organization in a healthy way. Leaders need others to help them find their blindspots so they can continue to grow and develop.
- A responsibility of the second chair leader is to lighten the load of the first chair and to disseminate the load in a way that utilizes others in an appropriate way.
- "Just because you're gifted at serving doesn't mean you're gifted at leading other servants...It's two different gifts." - Tim Kirkpatrick
- "I feel the smile of God on my life...I feel the wind at my back...I feel I am doing exactly what I'm called to do when I am helping other people do what God has called them to do." - Tim Kirkpatrick
- "You have to know who you are before you can understand your why." - Tim Kirkpatrick
Leaders Are Readers:
- Tim recommends you read Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio.
- To cultivate some self-awareness check out Discover Your Enneagram personality test. It's one of the better ones out there available to you for free.
- Connect with Tim on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Second Chair Solutions is brilliant! Visit the website.
Thank you for listening to today's episode. If you find this podcast helpful, be sure to subscribe on your favorite podcasting platform. You can leave a comment or send me some feedback at secondchairpodcast(at)gmail.com.
"Achieve Your Goals" by Scott Holmes